Creative thinking is necessary in many cases. Whether your trying to solve a tough problem, start a business, or write an article creative thinking is critical. People need to “think outside the box” when it comes to creative thinking. We are such creatures of habit. We don’t like to think differently than others because we don’t want to be thought of as strange or different. But it’s those strange and different people that make a difference in this world.
Here is a list of 10 metal blocks that will keep you from being creative.
1. Trying to Find the “right” answer. One of the worst aspects of formal education is we have been taught to find the right answer. In real life there may be more than one right answer. Many of us form mental blocks when looking for the right answer when more than one answer is available.
2. Logical Thinking. Not only is there more than one right answer, life can be very illogical. If you are a logical thinker it is a mental block to your creativity. Think in metaphors and it will help you communicate the illogical things of life.
3. Following Rules. Rules are very important at times, but they can also be a destructive force and a mental block to creativity. People don’t like to think outside the rules. Many celebrate the rebels of life but few are brave enough to emulate them.
4. Being Practical. I am a very practical person. I will not do something if it doesn’t have a practical use. This is good sometimes but it can also be a mental block to creativity. Try to approach a problem with “what if” and go out and do the crazy thing instead of being so practical.
5. Play is not work. Allowing your mind to be at play is perhaps the most effective way to stimulate creative thinking. Most people, however, disassociate play from work. You’ve heard the expression “work hard and play hard.” All you have to do as a creative thinker is realize they are the same thing.
6. That’s not my job. We live in a very specialized world it is so easy for us to think, “that’s not my job.” When you are in business for yourself and getting those creative juices flowing everything is your job.
7. Being a “serious” person. I am a very serious person. Sometimes it is a mental block for me. I get too serious and I’m not able to think. If you have to take on the persona of a fool to be creative, then do it.
8. Avoid Ambiguity. We are all ambiguous to some degree. However, we want to divide complex situation into black and white boxes. This can lead to disaster. It’s an innate characteristic of the human psychology to desire certainty, but it’s the creative thinker who rejects the false comfort of clarity when it’s not really appropriate.
9. Being wrong is bad. Because of the way we are taught in school, we hate being wrong. Thomas Edison was wrong 1,800 times before getting the light bulb right. The best thing we can do is learn from our mistakes. But we let being wrong become a mental block and we don’t learn from the mistakes we make. Ask yourself, what can happen if I’m wrong? Not much. But great things can happen if you dare to be wrong and learn from your mistakes.
10. I’m not creative. You are denying that you are human if you deny that you are creative. We’re all limitless creative, but only to the extent that we realize it. Stop telling yourself that you aren’t creative. It’s a lie.
Of you want to have success in your life you need to overcome the mental blocks that keep you from that success. Being a creative thinker is one sure way to success.